On this page
Forms and strengths
- 250 mg pyrantel embonate chewable tablet
- Oral suspension, 50 mg pyrantel embonate per ml
Dosage and duration
- Child and adult: 10 mg/kg single dose
- Child and adult: 10 mg/kg single dose followed by a second dose after 2 to 4 weeks
- Child and adult: 10 mg/kg single dose; in severe infection, 10 mg/kg once daily for 4 days
- Child and adult: 10 mg/kg once daily for 5 days
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- May cause: gastrointestinal disturbances, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, skin rash.
- Reduce dosage in patients with hepatic impairment.
- Pregnancy: avoid during the first trimester
- Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
- Preferably use albendazole or mebendazole for these indications. However, when these drugs are contra-indicated, e.g. in children under one year, pyrantel is an alternative.