On this page
- Prevention of diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis in children under 7 years (primary vaccination and booster dose)
Composition, forms, route of administration
- Trivalent vaccine combining diphtheria toxin, tetanus toxin and whole-cell (DTwP) or acellular (DTaP) pertussis vaccine
- Suspension for injection in multidose vial, for IM injection into the anterolateral part of the thigh in children < 2 years and in the deltoid muscle in children ≥ 2 years
DO NOT ADMINISTER INTO THE GLUTEAL MUSCLE.
Dosage and vaccination schedule
- Child: 0.5 ml per dose
- Primary vaccination: 3 doses 4 weeks apart, preferably before the age of 6 months. It is recommended to administer the 1st dose at 6 weeks of age, the 2nd dose at 10 weeks of age and the 3rd dose at 14 weeks of age. If a child has not been vaccinated at 6 weeks of age, start vaccination as soon as possible.
- Booster: one dose between 12 and 23 months
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer in the event of allergic reactions to a previous dose of DTP vaccine or evolving neurological disease (encephalopathy, uncontrolled epilepsy).
- Vaccination should be postponed in the event of severe acute febrile illness; minor infections are not contra-indications.
- May cause: mild local reactions (redness and pain at the injection site), fever, fatigue, malaise; rarely: anaphylactic reactions, seizures.
- Respect an interval of 4 weeks between each dose of primary vaccination.
- If administered simultaneously with other vaccines, use different syringes and injection sites.
- If the vaccination is interrupted before the complete series has been administered, it is not necessary to start again from the beginning. Continue the vaccination schedule from where it was interrupted and complete the series as normal.
- Also comes in:
- tetravalent vaccine (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B) and pentavalent vaccine (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B and Haemophilus influenzae) used for primary vaccination in children < 7 years;
- bivalent Td vaccine containing a reduced dose of diphtheria toxoid (tetanus-diphtheria), used in children ≥ 4 years, adolescents and adults.
- Shake before use to homogenise the vaccine.
– Between 2 °C and 8 °C. Do not freeze.