On this page
- Treatment of hypoglycaemia
Forms and strengths
- 250 ml and 500 ml bottles or bags
- 10% hypertonic glucose solution (100 mg of glucose/ml) for slow IV injection or IV infusion
Dosage and duration
- Conscious child:10 ml/kg by oral route or nasogastric tube
- Child with impaired consciousness: 2 ml/kg by slow IV injection (2 to 3 minutes)
Check blood glucose level 15 minutes after injection. If blood glucose level is still < 3.3 mmol/l or < 60 mg/dl, administer a second dose or give oral glucose, according to the patient's clinical condition.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer by IM or SC route.
- If ready-made 10% glucose solution is not available: remove 100 ml of 5% glucose from a 500 ml bottle or bag, then add 50 ml of 50% glucose to the remaining 400 ml of 5% glucose to obtain 450 ml of 10% glucose solution.
- Nutritional value: 400 kcal/litre.
- Also comes in premixed solution of 10% glucose/0.18% sodium chloride, for maintenance IV fluid therapy in sick neonates.
Below 25 °C