14.1 Choice of location
– At least 30 metres away from all wells, boreholes and water sources
– At least 5 metres away from all facilities
– Easy access and ground that allows liquids to infiltrate into the soil
– Material to temporarily delimit the worksite (tape and posts)
– Plastic sheeting
– 1 or 2 x 200 litre metal drum(s) (if 2 drums, weld them together to form a cyclinder), with top and bottom removed and perforated all over to let liquids infiltrate
– 120 litre plastic container with a lid, with a hole cut in the bottom to let liquid pass through, leaving a rim of 5 cm
– Wood to construct the platform (frame and platform)
– Sand bags (stabilised sand)
– Hammer, nails, wood saw, string, tape mesure, shovel, pick and crowbar
14.3 Clearing the site
– Remove all plants and debris. Level the ground. Delimit to ensure safety of the worksite.
– Mark the perimeter of the pit on the ground (1 metre in diameter).
– Dig the pit: mininum of 90 cm deep and maximum of 1.50 metres. The bottom of the pit must be 1.5 metres above the water table.
– Insert the 1 or 2 metal drum(s).
– Fill the empty space between the vertical walls of the pit and the drums with gravel.
– Stack up 3 layers of sandbags, in staggered rows (the bags should not be placed one directly ontop of another, they must overlap) and leaving the pit off-centre (A).
– Place a sandbag to fill the empty space between the side of the 120 litre container and the supporting structure formed by the other sand bags.
– Cover the sandbags with plastic sheeting and spread it at least 60 cm into the first drum (C).
– Place the wooden platform (B) on the sandbags covered in plastic sheeting (C).
– Insert the 120 litre container into the wooden platform (C).
Note: if the water table is too high to dig at least 90 cm into the ground, raise the supporting structure or choose another method of treating faeces and vomit.
- Plastic sheeting
- Wooden platform (25 x 100 mm)
- Wooden structure (50 x 50 mm)
- 120 litre plastic container
- Sand bags (stabilised sand)
- 200 litre metal drums