Planning an investigation requires a rapid and complete analysis of the context.
The following information is essential:
– the administrative and health organization of the country;
– demographic data (including age distribution, if possible);
– climate and seasons;
– maps, including administrative boundaries, towns and villages, locations of health care facilities and main transportation routes;
– Ministry of Health: organizational chart, key people and their contact information;
– national response strategy for the epidemic (if there is one);
– list of partners involved: UN agencies, bilateral assistance programmes, non governmental organizations, etc.;
– procurement: local options, procedure for importing medical supplies and vaccines;
– local events: national or religious holidays, market days, large demonstrations;
– epidemiological situation in neighbouring countries;
– perception of immunisation among the population.