On this page
Choice of infusion fluids according to indications
3 kinds of infusion fluids should be available:
- For IV rehydration: Ringer Lactate is the most suitable.
- For administration of IV drugs: 5% glucose solution and 0.9% sodium chloride solution are the most suitable.
- For volume expansion: see table next page.
Precautions for the use of infusion fluids
- Carefully read the labels on the infusion bottle to avoid mistakes.
- Indicate on the label any drugs added to the infusion as well as the patient’s name and/or bed number.
- If drugs are added to the intravenous fluid, think of the risks of:
- physical and chemical incompatibilities,
- microbial contamination: aseptic technique.
- Examine each bottle against the light to check clearness. Discard any bottles that show particles in suspension or cloudiness.