– Vehicle for the administration of parenteral drugs
– 500 ml and 1000 ml bottles or bags
– 5% isotonic glucose solution (50 mg of glucose/ml) for infusion
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– Do not use glucose solution for the administration of hydralazine (incompatibility, rapid degradation of hydralazine): use only 0.9% sodium chloride or Ringer Lactate solution.
– Other drugs such as amoxicillin + clavulanic acid, aciclovir, phenytoin, bleomycin or chloroquine must also be administered in 0.9% sodium chloride solution.
– Amoxicillin diluted in 5% glucose must be administered in less than one hour. If infusion over more than one hour is required, use 0.9% sodium chloride.
– This solution does not contain electrolytes or lactate. Its use is not recommended for the IV treatment of dehydration. Use Ringer Lactate or 0.9% sodium chloride solutions.
– Low nutritional value: 200 kcal/litre.
– Storage: below 25 °C