On this page
- Antisepsis of umbilical cord
Forms and strengths
- 7.1 % chlorhexidine digluconate dermal gel, delivering 4% chlorhexidine, in 3 g sachet and 20 g tube
Dosage and duration
- One application of 3 g of gel to the umbilical cord stump immediately after cutting the cord or during the first post-natal visit within the first 7 days of life if the neonate was born at home
- In settings where traditional unhygienic practices are common: one application daily for the first 7 days of life
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not bring into contact with body cavities, eyes (risk of corneal damage), brain and meninges, middle ear (risk of deafness if ear drum is perforated).
- Do not use with soap or a different type of antiseptic, e.g. povidone iodine (incompatibility).
- May cause: skin and mucous membrane irritation; rarely allergic reactions.
- Avoid applications to mucous membranes, especially to genital mucous membranes.
– Below 25 °C