On this page
- Antiviral active against herpes virus
- Treatment of herpes keratitis
- Prevention of herpes keratitis in neonate born to a mother suffering from genital herpes at the moment of childbirth
Forms and strengths
- 3% ointment, tube
Dosage and duration
Treatment of herpes keratitis
- Child and adult: one application 5 times daily into the conjunctival sac of both eyes for 14 days or for 3 days after lesions have healed
Prevention of herpes keratitis in neonate
- Immediately after birth: one single application of aciclovir into the conjunctival sac of both eyes (after washing eyes with sterile 0.9% sodium chloride)
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- In neonates, wait 12 hours after application of aciclovir 3% then apply tetracycline eye ointment 1% to prevent gonococcal neonatal conjunctivitis.
Below 25 °C
Use within 30 days after first opening.