On this page
- Localized non bullous impetigo (less than 5 lesions in a single area)
Forms and strengths
- 2% ointment, tube
Dosage and duration
- Child and adult: one application 3 times daily, to clean and dry skin, for 7 days
The patient should be reassessed after 3 days. If there is no response, switch to oral antibiotic therapy.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- May cause: pruritus and burning sensation; allergic reactions.
- If applying to the face, avoid contact with eyes.
- Pregnancy: no contra-indication
- Breast-feeding: no contra-indication. Do not apply to the breasts.
- Do not mix with other ointments (effect of mupirocin decreased).
- Avoid touching the lesions; keep them covered with gauze if possible.
– Below 25 °C