On this page
- Cholinergic anti-glaucoma agent, miotic
- Chronic open-angle glaucoma
Forms and strengths
- 2% eye drops
Also comes in 4% eye drops.
- Adult: 1 drop into the conjunctival sac 4 times daily
- Life-long treatment
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer to children.
- Do not administer to patients with iridocyclitis and some forms of secondary glaucoma.
- Do not administer to patients with history of retinal detachment (trauma or family history) nor to myopic patients, except if it is possible to examine the peripheral retina (fundus examination) prior to the initiation of therapy and routinely thereafter.
- May cause:
- transient blurred vision, visual field modification, difficulty with dark adaptation (inform patients, especially drivers);
- retinal detachment in patients with myopia;
- ocular irritation, headache (decreasing after 2 to 4 weeks); rarely, allergic reactions.
- In case of treatment with another eye drop, wait 5 minutes before instilling the second eye drop treatment.
- Patients should have regular monitoring of intraocular pressure during therapy.
- Pregnancy: no contra-indication
- Breastfeeding: no contra-indication
- Do not touch the dropper with the hands.
Below 25 °C
Once the bottle has been opened, solution keeps for 2 weeks.