On this page
- Pre-referral treatment of suspected or confirmed severe malaria, in children less than 6 years, before transfer to a facility where parenteral antimalarial treatment can be administered
Forms and strengths, route of administration
- 100 mg rectal capsule
Dosage and duration
- 10 mg/kg as a single dose before transferring the patient
- Child 2 months to < 3 years (≤ 10 kg): 1 rectal capsule single dose (100 mg)
- Child 3 to < 6 years (≤ 20 kg): 2 rectal capsules single dose (200 mg)
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- May cause: gastrointestinal disturbances, headache.
- Buttocks should be held together for at least 1 minute to ensure retention. If capsules are expelled from the rectum within 30 minutes of insertion, re-administer the treatment.
- Up to 2 capsules can be administered simultaneously.
– Between 15 °C and 25 °C
Avoid temperature excursions above 30 °C. Do not refrigerate. Do not freeze.