On this page
- Antiviral, antimitotic, cytolytic agent active against human papillomaviruses (HPVs)
- External genital warts, perianal warts and vaginal warts
Forms and strengths
- Podophyllum resin in alcohol or compound benzoin tincture, 10%, 15% and 25% solution for topical application
- Always apply a protective layer of vaseline or zinc oxide ointment on the surrounding skin prior to treatment.
- Apply podophyllum resin to warts:
- For external warts, leave on the warts for 1 to 4 hours then wash with soap and water.
- For vaginal warts, allow to dry before removing the speculum.
- Apply once weekly if necessary, for a maximum of 4 weeks.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not use to treat genital warts in children.
- Do not apply to healthy skin or mucous membranes, or to warts > 3 cm, or to cervical, urethral, anorectal or oral warts.
- May cause:
- local reactions: erythema, ulceration, pain in area where applied;
- systemic adverse effects: gastrointestinal disturbances, haematological and neurological disorders (possibly severe) in the event of prolonged or excessive application, or when applied to bleeding lesions.
- Avoid contact with eyes. In case of eye contact flush immediately with plenty of water.
- Pregnancy: CONTRA-INDICATED
- Breast-feeding: CONTRA-INDICATED
- Use by preference 0.5% podophyllotoxin solution: it is as effective as podophyllum resin, but less irritant and toxic. Another advantage is that the patient may apply the solution to the warts himself; whereas the resin must always be applied by medical staff.
- When treatment is contra-indicated or has failed after 4 weeks, change treatment method (cryosurgery, electrosurgery, surgical removal).
– Below 25 °C