On this page
- Pediculicide (pyrethroid insecticide)
- Head pediculosis (lice)
Forms and strengths
- 1% lotion
- Child 2 months and over and adult: apply lotion to scalp and entire length of the hair shaft, paying particular attention to the areas behind the ears and around the nape of the neck. Leave on hair for 10 minutes, then rinse throughly with water.
- Repeat the application after 7 days.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Use with caution and under medical supervision in children under 6 months.
- May cause: scalp irritation, pruritus, skin rash and redness; rarely: oedema, hypersensitivity reactions.
- Avoid contact with eyes. In case of accidental contact, flush immediately with plenty of water.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: prefer dimeticone
- Examine everyone in contact with a patient and only treat those with live lice and/or live nits. Preventive treatment of noninfected persons is ineffective and increases the risk of resistance.
- Wash combs and decontaminate headwear and bedding: wash ≥ 60 °C, iron or dry in the sun or, if not feasible, seal in a plastic bag for 2 weeks.
- Use the lotion rather than the shampoo that is less effective as the contact time is usually shorter.
- Permethrin 5% cream is used for the treatment of scabies in children 2 months and over and adults.
– Below 25 °C