– Antibacterial (sulfonamide group)
– Prophylaxis and treatment of infections
of in severe burns
– Treatment of infections in leg ulcers
Forms and strengths
– 1% sterile cream, tube or jar
– Child 2 months and over and adult: clean the wound then apply a 3 to 5 mm layer of silver sulfadiazine cream to the wound once daily and cover with sterile compresses.
– Until wound has healed or until skin graft, when required.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– Do not use in patients with allergy to sulfonamides; in children under 2 months.
– Do not apply other topical treatments to wounds where silver sulfadiazine is applied.
– Use with caution in children under 2 years (risk of systemic absorption); in patients with severe renal or hepatic impairment.
– May cause:
• skin reactions, grey skin discoloration, skin photosensitivity; rarely: allergic reactions, sometimes severe (Lyell’s and Stevens-Johnson syndromes).
• systemic adverse effects related to sulfonamides (haematological, renal, cutaneous disorders, etc.) when applied to a large surface area, mucous membranes or prolonged use.
– Pregnancy: avoid if possible during the 3rd trimester of pregnancy (risk of jaundice in the neonate)
– Breast-feeding: CONTRA-INDICATED if the child is under one month
– Storage: between 8 °C and 25 °C -
After use, keep the tube or jar tightly closed to avoid exposure to light.