On this page
Last updated: October 2021
- Abnormal uterine bleeding (especially functional uterine bleeding unrelated to pregnancy)
Forms and strengths
- 500 mg tablet
Dosage and duration
- Adolescent and adult: 1 g 3 times daily (max. 1 g 4 times daily) until bleeding stops (max. 5 days)
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer in patients with (or with history of) venous or arterial thromboembolic disorders, severe renal impairment, history of seizures.
- Reduce dosage in patients with mild to moderate renal impairment (risk of accumulation).
- May cause: gastrointestinal disturbances, seizures with high doses, visual disturbances, allergic reactions.
- Avoid combination with drugs that increase the risk of thromboembolism. Concomitant use of oestrogens (e.g. ethinylestradiol/levonorgestrel) should be carefully considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Pregnancy: this drug is not indicated in the event of bleeding during pregnancy.
- Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
- The treatment may be administered at each bleeding episode. In situations of repeated bleeding, it may be helpful to combine tranexamic acid with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug and/or a long-term treatment with a levonorgestrel intrauterine device or ethinylestradiol/levonorgestrel or oral or injectable medroxyprogesterone.
Below 25 °C