On this page
- Treatment of pellagra
Forms and strengths
- 100 mg tablet
Dosage and duration
- Child and adult: 100 mg 3 times daily, with a diet rich in protein, until the patient is fully cured
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: avoid, except if clearly needed (safety is not established)
- Nicotinamide is also called niacinamide.
- Vitamin PP deficiency is common when diet is almost entirely based on sorghum, millet or maize.
- Vitamin PP deficiency often occurs in association with other vitamin B-complex deficiency (thiamine, pyridoxine), especially in alcoholic patients.
- Vitamin PP is usually one of the components of multivitamin preparations and B-complex (7.5 mg to 15 mg per tablet).
- Nicotinic acid has a similar action to nicotinamide, but is no longer used because of its adverse effects, especially its vasodilator action.