On this page
Last updated: October 2021
- Abnormal uterine bleeding (especially functional uterine bleeding unrelated to pregnancy)
Forms and strengths
- 10 mg tablet
Dosage and duration
Persistent abnormal uterine bleeding despite tranexamic acid therapy or heavy bleeding when tranexamic acid is contra-indicated
- Adolescent and adult: 20 mg 3 times daily for 7 days
Long-term treatment of functional uterine bleeding
- Adult: 10 mg once daily (up to 30 mg once daily if necessary). Continue treatment according to clinical response.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer to patients with breast cancer, severe hypertension (≥ 160/100), active thromboembolic disorders, uncontrolled or complicated diabetes, severe or recent hepatic disease.
- May cause: menstrual irregularities, amenorrhoea, menometrorrhagia, breast tenderness, headache, weight gain, acne, mood change, abdominal pain, gastrointestinal disturbances.
- Pregnancy: CONTRA-INDICATED
- Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
- Unlike injectable medroxyprogesterone, the oral form has no contraceptive effect.
– Below 25 °C