On this page
Last updated: June 2023
Prescription under medical supervision
- Combination of inhaled corticosteroid (budesonide) and long-acting beta-2 agonist bronchodilator (formoterol)
- Long term treatment of chronic asthma (maintenance and symptomatic treatment)
Forms and strengths
- Solution or suspension for inhalation in pressurised metered dose inhaler, delivering 80 micrograms of budesonide and 4.5 micrograms of formoterol fumarate/puff
Start at the step most appropriate to initial severity.
Moderate persistent asthma
- Child 6 to 11 years: 1 puff once daily (very low dose) and 1 puff when symptomatic (max. 8 puffs daily)
Severe persistent asthma
- Child 6 to 11 years: 1 puff 2 times daily (low dose) and 1 puff when symptomatic (max. 8 puffs daily)
- As long as required. Re-evaluate after 2 to 3 months if doses are adequate or need to be increased or decreased.
- Shake the inhaler. Remove the mouthpiece cover.
- Breathe in and breathe out as completely as possible. Place the lips tightly around the mouthpiece. Inhale deeply while activating the inhaler. Hold breath 10 seconds before exhaling.
- Hand-breath co-ordination is difficult in children. Use a spacer to facilitate administration and improve the efficacy of treatment.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer to children with untreated respiratory infection.
- May cause:
- throat irritation, hoarseness and cough at the beginning of treatment; oro-pharyngeal candidiasis; adrenal suppression with high doses for prolonged periods;
- headache, tremor and tachycardia, hyperglycaemia; hypokalaemia (after high doses).
- Pregnancy: no contra-indication
- Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
- Relief of symptoms may require several days or weeks of continuous therapy.
- Clean the mouthpiece before and after each use.
- Do not pierce or incinerate used aerosol containers (risk of explosion).
- Budesonide/formoterol may also be available as a dry powder inhaler. Doses are the same as for metered dose inhaler.
- Manufacturers may express the content per inhaler actuation in "metered dose" or "delivered dose".
– Below 25 °C