- Treatment and prevention of scurvy (vitamin C deficiency)
Forms and strengths
- 250 mg chewable tablet
- 500 mg tablet
Dosage and duration
Treatment of scurvy:
The optimal dose has not been established. For information:
- Child 1 month to 11 years: 100 mg 3 times daily
- Child 12 years and over and adult: 250 mg 3 times daily
- Child 1 month to 3 years: 100 mg 2 times daily
- Child 4 to 11 years: 250 mg 2 times daily
- Child 12 years and over and adult : 500 mg 2 times daily
Treatment is administered at least 2 weeks or longer (until symptoms resolve), then preventive treatment is given as long as the situation requires.
Prevention of scurvy:
- Child and adult: 50 mg daily, as long as the situation requires
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Ascorbic acid is well tolerated at indicated doses.
- May cause: gastrointestinal disturbances and nephrolithiasis at doses > 1 g daily; may interfere with the measurement of glucose in blood and urine at doses ≥ 2 g daily.
- Pregnancy: no contra-indication, do not exceed 1 g daily.
- Breast-feeding: no contra-indication