On this page
- H1 antihistamine
- Symptomatic treatment of minor allergic reactions (urticaria, allergic conjunctivitis, etc.)
Forms and strengths
- 5 mg/5 ml oral solution
- 10 mg tablet
- Child over 2 years and under 30 kg: 5 mg (5 ml) once daily
- Child over 30 kg and adult: 10 mg (1 tab) once daily
- As short as possible (a few days).
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Administer with caution and reduce the dose (administer every other day) in patients with severe renal or hepatic impairment.
- May cause: headache, dizziness, drowsiness, nervousness, insomnia, increased appetite, rash.
- Monitor combination with:
- central nervous system depressants (opioid analgesics, antipsychotics, sedatives, antidepressants, etc.) and alcohol;
- erythromycin, fluconazole, fluoxetine, amiodarone, ritonavir, cimetidine (increased plasma concentrations of loratadine).
- Pregnancy: avoid during the first trimester (uncertain risk of hypospadias)
- Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
- Less sedating than chlorphenamine and promethazine.
- Below 25 °C