On this page
- Vitamin necessary for the intestinal absorption of calcium and phosphate and for normal bone calcification
- Prevention and treatment of vitamin D deficiencies (rickets, osteomalacia)
Forms and strengths
- 10 000 IU/ml oral solution, in 10 ml vial
- 50 000 IU/ml oral solution, in 2 ml ampoule (100 000 IU)
Dosage and duration
Colecalciferol and ergocalciferol are used at the same doses:
Prevention of vitamin D deficiencies
- Term neonate: 400 to 800 IU once daily until 6 months of age
- Term neonate in contexts of high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency: 600 to 1200 IU once daily until 6 months of age
- Pregnant woman: 100 000 IU single dose (one 2 ml ampoule) in the 6th or 7th month of pregnancy
Treatment of vitamin D deficiencies
- Child < 3 months: 2 000 IU once daily for 3 months
- Child from 3 to < 12 months: 2 000 IU once daily for 3 months or 50 000 IU single dose
- Child from 12 months to < 12 years: 3 000 to 6 000 IU once daily for 3 months or 150 000 IU single dose
- Child ≥ 12 years and adult: 6 000 IU once daily for 3 months or 300 000 IU single dose
Then continue with preventive dose, as long as the situation requires:
- Child < 12 months: 400 IU once daily
- Child ≥ 12 months and adult: 600 IU once daily
Do not exceed 600 000 IU yearly.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer to patients with hypercalcaemia, hypercalciuria, calcic lithiasis, severe renal impairment.
- Stop treatment if signs of overdosage occur: headache, anorexia, nausea, vomiting, increased thirst, polyuria.
- Avoid combination with thiazide diuretics, e.g. hydrochlorothiazide (decreased urinary calcium excretion).
- Monitor, if possible, calcaemia and calciuria during curative treatment.
- Pregnancy: no contra-indication
- Breast-feeding: no contra-indication. When curative treatment is being administered to the mother, do not give vitamin D to the child.
- The number of IU per drop of oral solution varies according to manufacturers. Check instructions for use.
- Preferably use the vials of oral solution that, once opened, keep for 6 months.
- During the first 3 months of curative treatment, administer a supplement of 500 mg of calcium once daily.
– Below 25 °C