On this page
- Antidote to folate antagonists
- Prevention of haemotological toxicity of pyrimethamine when pyrimethamine is used as prophylaxis for, or in the treatment of toxoplasmosis or isosporiasis in immunodeficient patients
Forms and strengths
- 15 mg tablet
Also comes in 5 mg and 25 mg capsules.
When pyrimethamine is used as primary or secondary prophylaxis for toxoplasmosis
- Adult: 25 to 30 mg once weekly
During treatment of toxoplasmosis
- Adult: 10 to 25 mg once daily
During treatment of isosporiasis
- Adult: 5 to 15 mg once daily
- For the duration of the pyrimethamine treatment
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Pregnancy: NO CONTRA-INDICATION
- Breast-feeding: NO CONTRA-INDICATION
- Folic acid cannot be used as an alternative to folinic acid for the treatment of toxoplasmosis: folic acid reduces the antiprotozoal activity of pyrimethamine.
- Calcium folinate is also called calcium leucovorin.
- below 25 °C