- Antiprotozoal, antibacterial (group of nitroimidazoles)
- Amoebiasis, giardiasis, trichomoniasis
- Bacterial vaginitis, infections due to anaerobic bacteria (e.g. Clostridium sp, Bacteroides sp)
Forms and strengths
- 500 mg tablet
Dosage and duration
- Child: 50 mg/kg once daily (max. 2 g daily)
- Adult: 2 g once daily
The treatment lasts 3 days in intestinal amoebiasis; 5 days in hepatic amoebiasis.
Giardiasis, trichomoniasis and bacterial vaginitis
- Child: 50 mg/kg single dose (max. 2 g)
- Adult: 2 g single dose
In the event of trichomoniasis, also treat sexual partner.
Infections due to anaerobic bacteria
- Child over 12 years and adult: 2 g on D1 then 1 g once daily or 500 mg 2 times daily
According to indication, tinidazole may be used in combination with other antibacterials; treatment duration depends on indication.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer to patients with allergy to tinidazole or another nitroimidazole (metronidazole, secnidazole, etc.).
- May cause: gastrointestinal disturbances; rarely: allergic reactions, brownish urine, headache, dizziness. Risk of antabuse reaction when combined with alcohol.
- Administer with caution in patients taking oral anticoagulants (risk of haemorrhage), lithium, phenytoin (increased plasma concentrations of these drugs).
- Pregnancy: no contra-indication; divide into smaller doses, avoid prolonged use.
- Breast-feeding: significantly excreted in milk (risk of gastrointestinal disturbances in breastfed infants); divide into smaller doses, avoid prolonged use.