On this page
Last updated: September 2021
- Antiretroviral, HIV-1 non nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor
- HIV-1 infection, in combination with other antiretroviral drugs
Forms and strengths
- 200 mg breakable tablet, 200 mg capsule and 600 mg tablet
The dose is given once daily at bedtime, on an empty stomach.
- Child 3 years and over and adult:
|Weight||Dose||Tablets or capsules|
|10 to < 14 kg||200 mg||1 tab 200 mg or 1 cap 200 mg|
|14 to < 25 kg||300 mg||1 tab 200 mg + ½ tab 200 mg|
|25 to < 40 kg||400 mg||2 tab 200 mg or 2 cap 200 mg|
|≥ 40 kg||400 mg or 600 mg||2 tab 200 mg or 2 cap 200 mg or 1 tab 600 mg|
- Depending on the efficacy and tolerance of efavirenz.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer to children under 3 years and to patients with severe hepatic impairment.
- Avoid combination with amodiaquine and drugs that prolong QT interval: amiodarone, bedaquiline, chloroquine, clarithromycin, co-artemether, fluconazole, haloperidol, hydroxyzine, mefloquine, moxifloxacin, ondansetron, pentamidine, quinine, etc.
- Administer with caution to patients with psychiatric disorders (or history of) or epilepsy.
- Monitor combination with central nervous system depressants (opioids, benzodiazepines, phenobarbital, etc.), carbamazepine, phenytoin, oral anticoagulants.
- May cause:
- neuropsychiatric disorders: dizziness, headache, insomnia, drowsiness, abnormal dreaming, anxiety, aggressive behaviour, impaired concentration, seizures, depression, suicidal ideation;
- hepatotoxicity and gastrointestinal disturbances;
- skin reactions, possibly severe (Stevens-Johnson syndrome).
- Efavirenz reduces the effectiveness of implants and oral contraceptives: use an intrauterine device (copper or levonorgestrel) or a progestogen-only injectable (medroxyprogesterone).
- Pregnancy: no contra-indication
- Capsules can be opened and their content mixed into a spoon with a small amount of food.
- Also comes in fixed-dose combinations (tenofovir/emtricitabine/efavirenz or tenofovir/lamivudine/efavirenz). Preferably use these formulations when available.
- Below 25 °C