On this page
- Stomach pain associated with gastritis and peptic ulcer
Forms and strengths
- 400 mg aluminium hydroxide/400 mg magnesium hydroxide chewable tablet
- Child over 5 years: rarely indicated. When necessary: half a tablet 3 times daily
- Adult: 1 to 2 tablets 3 times daily 20 minutes to one hour after meals, or 1 tablet during painful attacks
- According to clinical response
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Decreases intestinal absorption of many drugs. Do not administer simultaneously with:
- atazanavir, chloroquine, digoxin, doxycycline, iron salts, gabapentin, itraconazole, levothyroxine (take at least 2 hours apart).
- ciprofloxacin (take ciprofloxacin 2 hours before or 4 hours after antacids), dolutegravir (take dolutegravir 2 hours before or 6 hours after antacids), velpatasvir (take 4 hours apart).
- Pregnancy: no contra-indication
- Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
- Chew tablets.
- There are numerous preparations of aluminium and/or magnesium hydroxide and different dosages.
- Antacids are not included in the WHO list of essential medicines.
Below 25 °C