On this page
- Prevention and treatment of isoniazid-induced peripheral neuropathy
Forms and strengths
- 25 mg tablet
Also comes in 10 mg and 50 mg tablets.
Prevention of isoniazid neuropathy
- Child under 5 kg: 5 mg once daily
- Child over 5 kg and adult: 10 mg once daily
Treatment of isoniazid neuropathy
- Child: 50 mg once daily
- Adult: 50 mg 3 times daily
- Prevention: as long as treatment with isoniazid continues.
- Treatment: according to clinical response (in general, ≤ 3 weeks) then, preventive dose, as long as treatment with isoniazid continues.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- No contra-indication.
- May cause: peripheral neuropathy in the event of prolonged use with doses ≥ 200 mg daily.
- Pregnancy: no contra-indication
- Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
- In children receiving isoniazid prophylaxis or treatment for tuberculosis: concomitant administration of pyridoxine at preventive dosage is recommended for children under 5 years and all children infected with HIV.
- Pyridoxine is also used for the prevention and treatment of cycloserin-induced neuropathy (150 to 200 mg daily in adults, in divided doses).
– Below 25 °C