On this page
- Macrolide antibacterial
- Eradication of Helicobacter pylori, in combination with omeprazole and amoxicillin
Forms and strengths
- 500 mg tablet
Dosage and duration
- Adult: 500 mg 2 times daily for 7 days
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer to patients with allergy to clarithromycin or another macrolide.
- May cause:
- headache, taste disturbances, insomnia, gastrointestinal disturbances, reversible hearing disorders;
- heart rhythm disorders (QT prolongation);
- hypersensitivity reactions sometimes severe (in this event, stop treatment immediately).
- Administer with caution and reduce dosage by half in patients with severe renal impairment.
- Avoid combination with drugs that prolong the QT interval: amiodarone, antimalarials, antipsychotics, efavirenz, fluconazole, fluoroquinolones, hydroxyzine, ondansetron, etc.
- Administer with caution and monitor combination with: oral antidiabetics, atorvastatin, carbamazepine, daclatasvir, digoxin, phenytoin, rifabutin (increased plasma concentrations of these drugs).
- Pregnancy: avoid (safety not established)
- Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
- Clarithromycin is also used for the treatment of non-tuberculous mycobacterial infections.
Below 25 °C