On this page
- Phosphonic acid derivative antibacterial
- Acute uncomplicated cystitis in women, without fever nor flank pain
- Asymptomatic bacteriuria in pregnant women
Forms and strengths
- Granules for oral solution in 3 g sachet, to be dissolved in filtered water
Dosage and duration
- 3 g single dose
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer to patients with severe renal impairment, allergy to fosfomycin.
- May cause: gastrointestinal disturbances, skin rash; rarely, allergic reactions.
- Pregnancy: no contra-indication
- Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
- In the treatment of cystitis, symptoms should improve within 3 days of treatment. If not, the patient should consult again. Treatment failure may be due to the presence of naturally fosfomycin-resistant organisms (Staphylococcus saprophyticus).
- Take between meals or at bedtime (food decreases absorption).
- Fosfomycin is not included in the WHO list of essential medicines.
- Below 25 °C