On this page
- Centrally acting antihypertensive
- Hypertension in pregnancy
Forms and strengths
- 250 mg tablet
- Initially 250 mg 2 to 3 times daily for 2 days, then increase gradually if necessary by 250 mg every 2 to 3 days, until the optimal dose is reached, usually 1.5 g daily. Do not exceed 3 g daily.
- According to clinical response. Do not stop treatment abruptly; reduce doses gradually.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer to patients with active liver disease, history of drug-induced hepatitis, severe depression.
- Administer with caution to patients with hepatic impairment, and reduce doses in patients with renal impairment.
- May cause:
- orthostatic hypotension, drowsiness, headache, gastrointestinal disturbances, dry mouth;
- rarely: haematological, hepatic, psychical disorders; allergic reactions.
- Stop treatment in the event of haemolytic anaemia or jaundice.
- In the event of unexplained fever during treatment, check blood count and transaminases for possible hepatitis due to methyldopa.
- Monitor combination with lithium (risk of lithium overdose), antidepressants (enhanced hypotensive effect), CNS depressants (increased sedation).
- Pregnancy: no contra-indication
- Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
Below 25 °C