On this page
- Sedating H1 antihistamine
- Agitation or aggressive behaviour in patients with acute or chronic psychosis, in combination with haloperidol
Forms and strengths
- 25 mg tablet
Dosage and duration
- Adult: 25 mg once daily at bedtime for 7 to 10 days max.
Agitation or aggressive behaviour in patients with acute or chronic psychosis, with haloperidol
- Adult: 25 mg, to be repeated after 60 minutes if necessary
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Administer with caution and monitor use:
- in older patients;
- in patients with prostate disorders, closed-angle glaucoma, epilepsy, orthostatic hypotension, severe renal or hepatic impairment;
- in patients taking central nervous system depressants (opioid analgesics, antipsychotics, sedatives, antidepressants, etc.) or drugs known to have an anticholinergic effect (atropine, amitriptyline, chlorpromazine, etc.).
- May cause:
- drowsiness, dizziness, headache, confusional state, hypotension, photosensitivity (protect skin from sun exposure);
- anticholinergic effects (dry mouth, constipation, blurred vision, tachycardia, disorders of micturition);
- rarely: seizures, extrapyramidal symptoms, neuroleptic malignant syndrome (unexplained hyperthermia with neuromuscular disorders), allergic reactions.
- Avoid alcohol during treatment.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: avoid
- Promethazine is not included in the WHO list of essential medicines.