On this page
- Antianaemia drug
- Prevention of iron-deficiency
- Treatment of iron-deficiency anaemia
Forms and strengths
- 140 mg/5 ml syrup of ferrous fumarate containing approximately 45 mg/5 ml of elemental iron
- 200 mg ferrous fumarate or sulfate tablet containing approximately 65 mg of elemental iron
(expressed as elemental iron)
Prevention of iron-deficiency
- Neonate: 4.5 mg once daily
- Child 1 month to < 12 years: 1 to 2 mg/kg once daily (max. 65 mg daily)
- Child ≥ 12 years and adult: 65 mg once daily
Treatment of iron-deficiency anaemia
- Neonate: 1 to 2 mg/kg 2 times daily
- Child 1 month to < 6 years: 1.5 to 3 mg/kg 2 times daily
- Child 6 to < 12 years: 65 mg 2 times daily
- Child ≥ 12 years and adult: 65 mg 2 to 3 times daily
|45 mg/5 ml syrup||65 mg tablet||45 mg/5 ml syrup||65 mg
|< 1 month||< 4 kg||0.5 ml||–||0.5 ml x 2||–|
|1 month to < 1 year||4 to < 10 kg||1 ml||–||1.5 ml x 2||–|
|1 to < 6 years||10 to < 20 kg||2.5 ml||–||2.5 ml x 2||–|
|6 to < 12 years||20 to < 40 kg||5 ml||–||–||1 tab x 2|
|≥ 12 years and adult||≥ 40 kg||–||1 tab||–||1 tab x 2 or 3|
- Prevention: during risk period (pregnancy, malnutrition)
- Treatment: 3 months
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer to patients with other forms of anaemia.
- May cause: abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea or constipation, black stools.
- Do not exceed recommended doses in children (risk of overdose). 20 mg/kg of elemental iron (60 mg/kg of ferrous fumarate or sulfate) is considered toxic.
- Do not give simultaneously with doxycycline, ciprofloxacin, dolutegravir, antacids (aluminium hydroxide or magnesium, etc.), levodopa or zinc sulfate (reduced absorption of both drugs). Administer each drug at least 2 hours apart.
- Adminstration in combination with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) increases iron absorption.
- Rince mouth or drink water after administration of syrup (risk of tooth staining).
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: no contra-indication
- To reduce gastrointestinal disturbances, take during meals and gradually increase dosage.
- For the prevention of iron-deficiency during pregnancy, preferably use tablets containing both ferrous salts and folic acid.
- Below 25 °C