– Treatment and prevention of scurvy (vitamin C deficiency)
Forms and strengths
– 250 mg chewable tablet
– 500 mg tablet
Dosage and duration
– Treatment of scurvy
The optimal dose has not been established. For information:
Child 1 month to 11 years: 100 mg 3 times daily
Child 12 years and over and adult: 250 mg 3 times daily
Child 1 month to 3 years: 100 mg 2 times daily
Child 4 to 11 years: 250 mg 2 times daily
Child 12 years and over and adult : 500 mg 2 times daily
Treatment is administered at least 2 weeks or longer (until symptoms resolve), then preventive treatment is given as long as the situation requires.
– Prevention of scurvy
Child and adult: 50 mg daily, as long as the situation requires
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– Ascorbic acid is well tolerated at indicated doses.
– May cause: gastrointestinal disturbances and nephrolithiasis at doses > 1 g daily; may interfere with the measurement of glucose in blood and urine at doses ≥ 2 g daily.
– Pregnancy: no contra-indication, do not exceed 1 g daily.
– Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
– Storage: below 25 °C - -