– Phosphonic acid derivative antibacterial
– Acute uncomplicated cystitis in women, without fever nor flank pain
– Asymptomatic bacteriuria in pregnant women
Forms and strengths
– Granules for oral solution in 3 g sachet, to be dissolved in filtered water
Dosage and duration
– 3 g single dose
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– Do not administer to patients with severe renal impairment, allergy to fosfomycin.
– May cause: gastrointestinal disturbances, skin rash; rarely, allergic reactions.
– Pregnancy: no contra-indication
– Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
– In the treatment of cystitis, symptoms should improve within 3 days of treatment. If not, the patient should consult again. Treatment failure may be due to the presence of naturally fosfomycin-resistant organisms (Staphylococcus saprophyticus).
– Take between meals or at bedtime (food decreases absorption).
– Fosfomycin is not included in the WHO list of essential medicines.
– Storage: below 25 °C - -