– H1 antihistamine
– Symptomatic treatment of minor allergic reactions (urticaria, allergic conjunctivitis, etc.)
Forms and strengths
– 5 mg/5 ml oral solution
– 10 mg tablet
– Child over 2 years and under 30 kg: 5 mg (5 ml) once daily
– Child over 30 kg and adult: 10 mg (1 tab) once daily
– As short as possible (a few days).
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– Administer with caution and reduce the dose (administer every other day) in patients with severe renal or hepatic impairment.
– May cause: headache, dizziness, drowsiness, nervousness, insomnia, increased appetite, rash.
– Monitor combination with:
• central nervous system depressants (opioid analgesics, antipsychotics, sedatives, antidepressants, etc.) and alcohol;
• erythromycin, fluconazole, fluoxetine, amiodarone, ritonavir, cimetidine (increased plasma concentrations of loratadine).
– Pregnancy: avoid during the first trimester (uncertain risk of hypospadias)
– Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
– Less sedating than chlorphenamine and promethazine.
– Storage: below 25 °C -