– Centrally acting antihypertensive
– Hypertension in pregnancy
Forms and strengths
– 250 mg tablet
– Initially 250 mg 2 to 3 times daily for 2 days, then increase gradually if necessary by 250 mg every 2 to 3 days, until the optimal dose is reached, usually 1.5 g daily. Do not exceed 3 g daily.
– According to clinical response. Do not stop treatment abruptly; reduce doses gradually.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– Do not administer to patients with active liver disease, history of drug-induced hepatitis, severe depression.
– Administer with caution to patients with hepatic impairment, and reduce doses in patients with renal impairment.
– May cause:
• orthostatic hypotension, drowsiness, headache, gastrointestinal disturbances, dry mouth;
• rarely: haematological, hepatic, psychical disorders; allergic reactions.
– Stop treatment in the event of haemolytic anaemia or jaundice.
– In the event of unexplained fever during treatment, check blood count and transaminases for possible hepatitis due to methyldopa.
– Monitor combination with lithium (risk of lithium overdose), antidepressants (enhanced hypotensive effect), CNS depressants (increased sedation).
– Pregnancy: no contra-indication
– Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
– Storage: below 25 °C