– Treatment of pellagra
Forms and strengths
– 100 mg tablet
Dosage and duration
– Child and adult: 100 mg 3 times daily, with a diet rich in protein, until the patient is fully cured
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– Pregnancy and breast-feeding: avoid, except if clearly needed (safety is not established)
– Nicotinamide is also called niacinamide.
– Vitamin PP deficiency is common when diet is almost entirely based on sorghum, millet or maize.
– Vitamin PP deficiency often occurs in association with other vitamin B-complex deficiency (thiamine, pyridoxine), especially in alcoholic patients.
– Vitamin PP is usually one of the components of multivitamin preparations and B-complex (7.5 mg to 15 mg per tablet).
– Nicotinic acid has a similar action to nicotinamide, but is no longer used because of its adverse effects, especially its vasodilator action.
– Storage: below 25 °C -