– Antibacterial (group of nitrofuranes)
– Uncomplicated cystitis, without fever or lower back pain, when no other antibiotic can be used
Forms and strengths
– 100 mg tablet
Dosage and duration
– Adult: 100 mg 3 times daily for 5 to 7 days
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– Do not administer to patients with renal impairment, G6PD deficiency or allergy to nitrofurantoin.
– May cause:
• nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, brownish urine;
• haemolytic anaemia in patients with G6PD deficiency, pulmonary and hepatic disorders, allergic reactions.
– Do not administer simultaneously with antacids (aluminium or magnesium hydroxide, etc.). Administer doses at least 2 hours apart.
– Pregnancy: CONTRA-INDICATED during the last month of pregnancy (risk of haemolysis in the newborn)
– Breast-feeding: avoid during the first month
– Take during meals.
– Do not use nitrofurantoin to prevent cystitis.
– Also comes in modified release capsules to be administered 2 times daily.
– Storage: below 25 °C - -