– Steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (corticosteroid)
– Symptomatic treatment of allergic and inflammatory diseases or reactions, e.g.:
• Pneumocystis carinii (jiroveci) pneumonia with severe hypoxia
• Certain severe forms of extra-pulmonary tuberculosis
• Severe immune reconstitution syndrome, following initiation of antiretroviral or anti tuberculous treatment
• Leprosy reactions
• Severe persistent asthma, in the event of treatment failure with high doses of inhaled corticoids
– Prevention of inflammatory reaction triggered by antiparasitic treatment (e.g. trichinellosis)
Forms and strengths
– 5 mg tablet
The dose depends on indication, patient’s response and tolerance. If treatment lasts over 10 days, a high initial dose should be reduced as quickly as possible to the lowest effective maintenance dose.
• Initial dose: 0.5 to 2 mg/kg once daily
• Maintenance dose: 0.25 to 0.5 mg/kg once daily
• Initial dose: 20 to 70 mg once daily
• maintenance dose: 5 to 15 mg once daily
– Administer preferably in the morning, with food.
– According to indication and clinical response. If the treatment lasts more than 3 weeks: do not stop abruptly, reduce the daily dose gradually.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– Do not administer to patients with active peptic ulcer (except if ulcer under treatment); infections not controlled by a specific treatment; acute viral infection (e.g. hepatitis, herpes simplex or zoster).
– May cause (prolonged treatment with high doses): adrenal suppression, muscle atrophy, growth retardation, increased susceptibility to infections, hypokalaemia, sodium and water retention (oedema and hypertension), osteoporosis.
– In the event of acute adrenal failure, use IV hydrocortisone.
– Pregnancy: no contra-indication
– Breast-feeding: no contra-indication; take tablets just after a feed and wait 4 hours before the next feed if possible.
– 5 mg of prednisolone has the same anti-inflammatory activity as 5 mg of prednisone, 0.75 mg of dexamethasone and 20 mg of hydrocortisone.
– Storage: below 25 °C -