– Metrorrhagia (especially functional uterine bleeding) and menorrhagia
Forms and strengths
– 500 mg tablet
– Adult: 1 g 3 times daily (max. 1 g 4 times daily) during bleeding
– 3 to 5 days
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– Do not administer in patients with (or with history of) venous or arterial thromboembolic disease.
– Administer with caution in the event of haematuria of renal origin (risk of anuria).
– May cause: gastrointestinal disturbances; rarely, allergic reactions, seizures.
– Pregnancy: this drug is not indicated in the event of bleeding during pregnancy.
– Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
– The treatment may given at each bleeding episode. In situations of repeated bleeding, it may be helpful to combine tranexamic acid with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (oral ibuprofen, 400 to 800 mg maximum 3 times daily for 3 to 5 days) and/or a long-term treatment with oral estroprogestogens or injectable progestogens.
– Storage: below 25 °C