– Fascioliasis (Fasciola hepatica and Fasciola gigantica infections)
Forms and strengths
– 250 mg tablet
Dosage and duration
Child and adult: 10 mg/kg single dose
Child and adult: 10 mg/kg 2 times daily
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– Do not administer to patients with hypersensitivity to triclabendazole or other benzimidazoles (albendazole, flubendazole, mebendazole, tiabendazole).
– May cause: abdominal pain, mild fever, headache, dizziness.
– Pregnancy: no contra-indication
– Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
– Take tablets after meals.
– Due to its efficacy, good tolerance, and ease of administration, triclabendazole is the drug of choice for fascioliasis.
– Bithionol may be used as an alternative to triclabendazole in the treatment of fascioliasis: 30 mg/kg daily for 5 days.
– Unlike infections with other flukes, fascioliasis does not respond to praziquantel.
– Storage: below 25 °C -