– Prevention and treatment of isoniazid-induced peripheral neuropathy
Forms and strengths
– 25 mg tablet
Also comes in 10 mg and 50 mg tablets.
– Prevention of isoniazid neuropathy
Child under 5 kg: 5 mg once daily
Child over 5 kg and adult: 10 mg once daily
– Treatment of isoniazid neuropathy
Child: 50 mg once daily
Adult: 50 mg 3 times daily
– Prevention: as long as treatment with isoniazid continues.
– Treatment: according to clinical response (in general, ≤ 3 weeks) then, preventive dose, as long as treatment with isoniazid continues.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– No contra-indication.
– May cause: peripheral neuropathy in the event of prolonged use with doses ≥ 200 mg daily.
– Pregnancy: no contra-indication
– Breast-feeding: no contra-indication
– In children receiving isoniazid prophylaxis or treatment for tuberculosis: concomitant administration of pyridoxine at preventive dosage is recommended for children under 5 years and all children infected with HIV.
– Pyridoxine is also used for the prevention and treatment of cycloserin-induced neuropathy (150 to 200 mg daily in adults, in divided doses).
– Storage: below 25 °C -