On this page
- Treatment of severe hypoglycaemia
Forms and strengths, route of administration
- 50% hypertonic glucose solution in 50 ml vial (500 mg/ml), for slow IV injection (3 to 5 minutes). NEVER BY IM OR SC INJECTION.
Dosage and duration
- Adult: 1 ml/kg by slow IV injection
- Check blood glucose level 15 minutes after injection. If blood glucose level is still < 3.3 mmol/litre or < 60 mg/dl, administer a second dose or give oral glucose, according to the patient's clinical condition.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- May cause:
- vein irritation;
- severe tissue damage (necrosis) in the event of extravasation.
- The solution is viscous: use a large vein and a large calibre needle.
- 50% glucose solution is too viscous, concentrated and irritant to be used in children.
- In children use 10% glucose solution. If ready-made 10% glucose solution is not available: add 10 ml of 50% glucose per 100 ml of 5% glucose to obtain a 10% glucose solution. The dose of 10% glucose to be administered is 2 ml/kg by slow IV injection.
Below 25° C