On this page
- Sedating H1 antihistamine
- Symptomatic treatment of allergic reactions, when oral administration is not possible
Forms and strengths, route of administration
- 50 mg in 2 ml ampoule (25 mg/ml) for deep IM injection
Dosage and duration
- Adult: 25 to 50 mg single dose
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Administer with caution and monitor use:
- in elderly patients;
- in patients with prostate disorders, closed-angle glaucoma, epilepsy, orthostatic hypotension, severe renal or hepatic impairment;
- in patients taking CNS depressants (opioid analgesics, antipsychotics, sedatives, antidepressants, etc.) or drugs known to have an anticholinergic effect (atropine, amitriptyline, chlorpromazine, etc.).
- May cause:
- drowsiness, dizziness, headache, confusion, hypotension, photosensitivity (protect skin from sun exposure);
- anticholinergic effects (dry mouth, constipation, blurred vision, tachycardia, disorders of micturition);
- rarely: seizures, extrapyramidal syndrome, neuroleptic malignant syndrome (unexplained hyperthermia with neuromuscular disorders), allergic reactions.
- Avoid alcohol during treatment.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: avoid
– Below 25 °C