On this page
- Pancreatic antidiabetic hormone: combination of short-acting + intermediate acting insulin
Forms and strengths, route of administration
- 1000 IU vial containing a combination of 30% short-acting insulin + 70% intermediate-acting insulin in suspension (100 IU/ml with a ratio of 30:70, 10 ml), for deep SC injection (abdomen, thigh, buttock or arm), administered with a syringe calibrated in insulin units for U-100 insulin (100 IU/ml).
NEVER ADMINISTER BY IV INJECTION.
- Child and adult: one to 2 injections daily
- Dosage must be individualised according to need. Adapt dose in the event of physical activity, change in diet or infection.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- See "Insulin: general information".
- Do not administer if known allergy to protamine.
- After removing vial from the refrigerator, leave to reach room temperature.
- Shake the vial gently before use.
- Also comes in biphasic human insulin 30/70 pens and biphasic analogue insulin 30/70 (aspart) and 25/75 (lispro) pens.
– Do not freeze.
- Unopened vial: to be kept refrigerated (2 °C to 8 °C)
- Opened vial: max. 4 weeks at below 25 °C and protected from light. Follow manufacturer’s instructions