On this page
- Intermediate-acting pancreatic antidiabetic hormone mixed with protamine, in order to prolong the duration of activity
Forms and strengths, route of administration
- 1000 IU of insulin suspension in 10 ml vial (100 IU/ml) for deep SC injection (abdomen, thigh, buttock or arm), administered with a syringe calibrated in insulin units for U-100 insulin (100 IU/ml).
NEVER ADMINISTER BY IV INJECTION.
- Child and adult: one to 2 injections daily in combination with short-acting insulin or metformine
Dosage must be individualised according to need. Adapt dose in the event of physical activity, change in diet or infection.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- See "insulin: general information".
- Do not administer if known allergy to protamine.
- In the event of combination with short-acting insulin, always prepare the mix in the syringe immediately before administration and in the following order: first draw the short-acting insulin then the intermediate-acting insulin.
- After removing vial from the refigerator, leave to reach room temperature.
- Shake the vial gently before use.
– Do not freeze.
- Unopened vial: to be kept refrigerated (2 °C to 8 °C)
- Opened vial: max. 4 weeks at below 25 °C and protected from light.