On this page
- Severe metabolic acidosis
Forms and strengths
- 10 ml or 20 ml ampoule
- Sodium bicarbonate: 8.4 g per 100 ml
- Hypertonic solution
- Ionic composition:
- sodium (Na+): 10 mmol (10 mEq) per 10 ml ampoule
- bicarbonate: 10 mmol (10 mEq) per 10 ml ampoule
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not use in case of alkalosis or respiratory acidosis.
- Do not administer hypertonic solutions by IM or SC route. Administer under close medical supervision, by slow direct IV injection diluted in 5% glucose or by continuous infusion in 5% glucose.
- Do not add: penicillins, chloramphenicol, aspirin, atropine, calcium, insulin, vitamins, etc. to sodium bicarbonate solution.
- Contains a high concentration of bicarbonate and sodium ions. Its use is rarely justified in case of metabolic acidosis caused by dehydration. Inaccurate administration may induce hypernatraemia and hypokalaemia.
Below 25 °C