– Antiprotozoal, antibacterial
– Severe infections due to anaerobic bacteria (Bacteroides sp, Clostridium sp, etc.)
Forms and strengths, route of administration
– 500 mg in 100 ml vial or bag (5 mg/ml), for infusion, to be administered over 30 minutes
– Child 1 month and over: 10 mg/kg every 8 hours (max. 1500 mg daily)
– Adult: 500 mg every 8 hours
– According to indication. Change to oral treatment as soon as possible.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– Do not administer to patients with allergy to metronidazole or another nitroimidazole (tinidazole, secnidazole, etc.).
– Do not drink alcohol during treatment (antabuse reaction).
– May cause: gastrointestinal disturbances, brownish urine, allergic reactions, headache, dizziness.
– Monitor combination with anticoagulants (increased risk of haemorrhage), lithium, phenytoin and ergometrine (increased plasma concentrations of these drugs).
– Administer with caution, reduce total daily dose to ⅓ and give once daily to patients with severe hepatic impairment.
– Pregnancy: no contra-indication
– Breast-feeding: avoid (significantly excreted in milk)
– Metronidazole is as effective by oral route as by parenteral route.
– Do not add any drug in the infusion vial.
– Storage: below 25 °C -