- Lincosamide antibacterial
- Second-line treatment of severe staphylococcal and/or streptococcal infections (e.g. cellulitis, erysipelas, pneumonia)
- Necrotizing skin and soft tissues infections (necrotizing fasciitis, gas gangrene, etc.), severe cutaneous anthrax, in combination with other antibacterials
Forms and strengths, route of administration
- 300 mg ampoule (150 mg/ml, 2 ml), for IV infusion in 0.9% sodium chloride or 5% glucose, to be administered over 30 minutes. DO NOT ADMINISTER FOR IV WITHOUT SOLUTION.
Severe staphylococcal and/or streptococcal infections
- Neonate 0 to 7 days (< 2 kg): 5 mg/kg every 12 hours
- Neonate 0 to 7 days (≥ 2 kg): 5 mg/kg every 8 hours
- Neonate 8 days to < 1 month (< 2 kg): 5 mg/kg every 8 hours
- Neonate 8 days to < 1 month (≥ 2 kg): 10 mg/kg every 8 hours
- Child 1 month and over: 10 mg/kg every 8 hours (max. 1800 mg daily)
- Adult: 600 mg every 8 hours
Necrotizing infections, severe cutaneous anthrax
- Neonate: as above
- Child 1 month and over: 10 to 13 mg/kg every 8 hours (max. 2700 mg daily)
- Adult: 900 mg every 8 hours
Dilute each dose of clindamycin in 5 ml/kg of 0.9% sodium chloride or 5% glucose in children less than 20 kg and in a bag of 100 ml of 0.9% sodium chloride or 5% glucose in children 20 kg and over and in adults.
- Cellulitis, erysipelas: 7 to 10 days
- Pneumonia: 10 to 14 days
- Severe cutaneous anthrax: 14 days
- Necrotizing infections: according to clinical evolution
Change to oral route as soon as possible.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
- Do not administer to patients with allergy to lincosamides or history of pseudomembranous colitis.
- Reduce dosage in patients with hepatic impairment.
- May cause: pseudomembranous colitis, rash, jaundice, severe allergic reactions. In these cases, stop treatment.
- In the event of pseudomembranous colitis, treat for Clostridium difficile infection (oral metronidazole).
- Pregnancy: no contra-indication
- Breast-feeding: use only when there are no therapeutic alternative. Check child's stools (risk of pseudomembranous colitis).
- Do not mix with other drugs in the same infusion bottle.
- Some presentations contain benzyl alcohol and should not be used in neonates.
– Below 25 °C