– Lincosamide antibacterial
– Second-line treatment of severe staphylococcal and/or streptococcal infections (e.g. cellulitis, erysipelas, pneumonia)
– Necrotizing skin and soft tissues infections (necrotizing fasciitis, gas gangrene, etc.), severe cutaneous anthrax, in combination with other antibacterials
Forms and strengths, route of administration
– 300 mg ampoule (150 mg/ml, 2 ml), for IV infusion in 0.9% sodium chloride or 5% glucose, to be administered over 30 minutes. DO NOT ADMINISTER FOR IV WITHOUT SOLUTION.
– Severe staphylococcal and/or streptococcal infections
Neonate 0 to 7 days (< 2 kg): 5 mg/kg every 12 hours
Neonate 0 to 7 days (≥ 2 kg): 5 mg/kg every 8 hours
Neonate 8 days to < 1 month (< 2 kg): 5 mg/kg every 8 hours
Neonate 8 days to < 1 month (≥ 2 kg): 10 mg/kg every 8 hours
Child 1 month and over: 10 mg/kg every 8 hours (max. 1800 mg daily)
Adult: 600 mg every 8 hours
– Necrotizing infections, severe cutaneous anthrax
Neonate: as above
Child 1 month and over: 10 to 13 mg/kg every 8 hours (max. 2700 mg daily)
Adult: 900 mg every 8 hours
Dilute each dose of clindamycin in 5 ml/kg of 0.9% sodium chloride or 5% glucose in children less than 20 kg and in a bag of 100 ml of 0.9% sodium chloride or 5% glucose in children 20 kg and over and in adults.
– Cellulitis, erysipelas: 7 to 10 days; pneumonia: 10 to 14 days; severe cutaneous anthrax: 14 days; necrotizing infections: according to clinical evolution. Change to oral route as soon as possible.
Contra-indications, adverse effects, precautions
– Do not administer to patients with allergy to lincosamides or history of pseudomembranous colitis.
– Reduce dosage in patients with hepatic impairment.
– May cause: pseudomembranous colitis, rash, jaundice, severe allergic reactions. In these cases, stop treatment.
– In the event of pseudomembranous colitis, treat for Clostridium difficile infection (oral metronidazole).
– Pregnancy: no contra-indication
– Breast-feeding: use only when there are no therapeutic alternative. Check child's stools (risk of pseudomembranous colitis).
– Do not mix with other drugs in the same infusion bottle.
– Some presentations contain benzyl alcohol and should not be used in neonates.
– Storage: below 25 °C -